Ms. Julie Spier and Mrs. Meredith Underwood are full-time employees in the learning center at Christ, Prince of Peace School. Ms. Spier is the reading resource specialist for grades K – 5, and Mrs. Underwood is the learning consultant for ELC – 8. They coordinate with classroom teachers to meet the needs of all children.
Ms. Spier works with struggling readers. In addition to receiving specialized reading instruction in the classroom, these children may see Ms. Spier for small group instruction in the learning center. Struggling students may take tests in the learning center. These students learn test-testing strategies, may receive extended time, or may have directions and questions read aloud and rephrased. Ms. Spier reviews tests to ensure that students have followed all directions and have answered all questions.
As the reading specialist, Ms. Spier’s job duties include:
- Teaching students to advocate for themselves
- Coordinating the OASIS program, pairing active older adults as tutors to struggling students
- Providing running records on a quarterly basis to check progress of struggling students
- Exploring various methods to ensure success and reporting progress to parents and teachers
- Sharing educational information with teachers
- Observing students who may be struggling in any way and informing teachers and parents, as needed
- When a special need is suspected, discussing concerns with teachers, parents, and learning consultant
Mrs. Underwood serves as a resource to teachers, parents, and students. Based on referrals from parents and teachers, she works with struggling students. Although students receive their instruction from classroom teachers, Mrs. Underwood provides support in the classroom or in the learning center, when requested. Some students take tests in the learning center with her. Typically, these students have a current diagnosis such as ADHD, language impairment, or learning disability, as well as an individual learning profile documenting educational accommodations. Students taking tests with Mrs. Underwood learn test-testing strategies, may receive extended time, or may have directions and questions read aloud and rephrased. She reviews tests to ensure that students have followed all directions and have answered all questions.
Mrs. Underwood’s job duties include:
- Preparing Special School District (SSD) referral packets
- Attending SSD evaluation meetings and Services Plan meetings
- Developing individual learning profiles for struggling students
- Coordinating speech and language screenings at school and discussing results with parents
- Giving learning-style surveys and discussing results with students
- Coordinating the middle school Explo program
- Conducting mock high school interviews with 8th grade students
- Maintaining lists of educational and testing resources and sharing with parents, upon request
Ms. Spier and Mrs. Underwood work as a team, and their goal is to help all students reach their full potential. If you would like additional information about the Christ, Prince of Peace learning center, please contact Ms. Spier or Mrs. Underwood as listed below: